Building and Renovating

 Are you thinking of building or renovating? A building permit ​must be obtained from the Town of BWG before you begin most construction projects within the municipality.

BWG's Building Division accept and review all new permit applications and work with homeowners to ensure that their building/renovation projects meet all the applicable Laws and By-laws, Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code. Our services include issuing building permits and inspecting all newly constructed buildings.

When is a Building Permit Required?

​You must obtain a building permit before you can:

  • Construct any new building over ten square metres in area or place another structure, such as a mobile home, on your property;
  • Change the use of a building;
  • Excavate or construct a foundation;
  • Construct a seasonal building; or
  • Undertake work regarding the installation, alteration, extension or repair of an on-site sewage system.

If you are unsure whether a building permit is required, please consult with our Building Division.

Extended Hours Program Banner, reading "Building Division Extended Hours Program, Open until 7pm every Wednesday

Building Division Extended Hours Program

Open until 7:00 pm every Wednesday, starting May 3rd through August 9th, 2023.

The Building Division is happy to announce the return of their Extended Hours Program to help home owners to apply for permit for decks, pools and hot tubs, sheds, finished basements, porches, and gazebos.

Read more before visiting our Building Division:

Although walk-ins are welcomed, appointments are recommended to avoid long wait times. Same-day appointments can be booked through email or by calling 905-778-2055 ext.1500 by 3:00 pm.


Come prepared!

Visit our Home Owner Project Guide for full permit submission requirements before your appointment. Building Division staff are here to help guide you through the application process but cannot provide any consultation or design advice.


Please note: Drawings from retailers (such as Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc.) are not acceptable as they are not qualified designers. 

Permit applications may not be issued on the same night; depending of the scope of the project, information submitted, and appointment availability.

Property Information

If you are the current property owner on title and would like to request the following information for your property:

  • Survey

  • History of Permit Applications 

  • Drawings (Architectural, Mechanical, Structural, Septic, etc.)

Please download and complete the Request for Information form​, and submit your application to Building Division email along with your identification showing that you are the property owner.

Please note, the timeline for the process can take up to 10 - 15 business days. We recommend applying for Request of Information ahead of time to be placed in queue.

Building and Sign Permits

Before submitting your permit application, please consider that email attachments cannot exceed 10MB. 
If your application package exceeds 10MB, please use a file sharing application like One Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox​, etc.

Please visit our Building Projects Guides and Forms page for detailed information on the following project types:

  • Home Owners
  • Residential Builders
  • Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) 
  • Sign Permits

All of the applicable documents and checklists for your building permit application can be found on our Building Forms and Building Fees pages.

 Submit a Permit Application 

Building Inspections

You can request an inspection using our online form or by phone. Inspection requests must be received before 3 pm in order to book your inspection for the following business day.

Book a Building Inspection  

You must include your permit number, contact information (name and number), project address, type of inspection, and requested inspection date in order for our team to confirm your booking and complete the inspection. ​

Should you complete construction without the required inspection(s), the Chief Building Official may require work to be uncovered in accordance with the Building Code Act.

Building Complaints

If you believe construction activities are being conducted without the necessary permits and/or required inspections, you may file a complaint by email or via the MyBWG app. You will need to include the following details in your complaint: your name, address, phone number, address and other details pertaining to your complaint.

Although we investigate all complaints, personal information and investigation details remain strictly confidential.

Address: Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, 100 Dissette St., Unit 4, Bradford, ON, L3Z 2A7

Phone: 905-775-5366,

By GHD Digital