Submitting a Claim for Compensation

If you have incurred costs for which you believe the Town of BWG may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below for the Town to consider your claim. In some situations, you are required to place the Town on notice within 10 days of the incident. The Municipal Act requires that the Town receives notification in writing. 

To ensure that your claim meets the notice requirement, please forward your written claim to Corporate Services within the 10-day period.

We suggest that in all cases of damage you contact your insurance company or broker. Depending on the type of property damaged, and the insurance policy you purchased, you may be eligible for greater compensation than you can legally recover from the Town or another party. If your insurer believes that the Town is responsible for your damage, they will seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy.

Note that payment in respect of property damage or bodily injury is contingent upon the Town being found legally liable. When making a claim against the Town for road maintenance (e.g. pothole damages), it is important to note that the Town will not be held responsible for damage if it has met the Provincial Maintenance Standards for Municipal Highway, under the Municipal Act of Ontario, 2001. O.Reg 239/02. Any records that show the standards were met will result in a denied claim.

Under the Ontario Automobile Insurance Act, you are required to report automobile accidents to your own insurer. You are responsible to mitigate your damages and ensure your car is in proper repair for safe driving.

Upon receipt of your claim, the Town will commence an investigation based on the information you provide. The Town will not be held responsible for your costs unless you can provide evidence that the Town committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage. Like most Canadian municipalities, the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury only compensates when it is legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce costs for the taxpaying public - who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

If a contractor was working in your area under a construction or capital projects agreement with the Town, your claim will be referred to them for investigation.

Claim Reporting Process

Submit the claim form provided and be as specific as possible in detailing the loss location.

Please Note: Fraudulent claims cost all taxpayers. The Town will prosecute all fraudulent claimants to the full extent of the law.

Response Time

Confirmation of receipt of your submitted claim will be provided within 2 weeks and an investigation will commence within 4 weeks. Please keep in mind that this is not a guarantee and that there are times where the response time may be longer.

If you have any further questions about the claims notification process, please contact us.

Claims involving the County of Simcoe (i.e. vehicle damage occurring on a County road) please contact Simcoe County’s roads department at 705 726 9300.

Piece of paper with a paper clip, and "Claims" cut out
Claims Online Request Form

Complete and submit a claim using our online request form.

Address: Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, 100 Dissette St., Unit 7&8, Bradford, ON, L3Z 2A7

Phone: 905-775-5366, Send an Email

By GHD Digital