Burn Permits

June 6, 2023 @ 1:23 p.m. - Message from BWG Fire Chief Thomas:

"On order of the Fire Chief, Bradford West Gwillimbury is immediately under a total fire ban and total fireworks ban.  There is to be no open air burning at all for any purpose.  There is to be no setting off any type of fireworks, sparklers etc. as well.  To be clear, even if you have an approved burn permit, under Extreme Fire Danger Rating during a total fire ban, you are not to have an outdoor fire of any type. This includes cooking fires and any coal, charcoal wood/woodchip BBQ devices as well, but does not include cooking appliances with mechanical shutoff, i.e., propane or natural gas equipment which is permitted but must be on a hard surface, deck or non flammable surface and well away from any combustibles." - Chief Thomas   

** Please note, burn permits of any kind will NOT be issued during this fire ban. **


In accordance with BWG's Open Air Burning By-law 2012-026, all outdoor burning requires a burn permit. Residents should be aware that starting a fire on their property without first obtaining a burn permit is in contravention of the Open Air Burning By-law and is subject to fines. 

It is the Applicant's responsibility to understand and follow the current Open Air Burning By-law and the Fire Danger Rating. Failure to do so also may result in fines. 

There are 3 different types of permits available in BWG:

A backyard patio featuring an outdoor fireplace
Wood Burning Appliance

Complete this online form if you are looking for a burn permit for a backyard wood burning appliance like a chiminea or outdoor fireplace.

Up close image of an outdoor firepit with two marshmallows roasting over it
Open Air Burn


Complete this online form if you are looking for a burn permit for the purposes of an open air burn like a burn barrel or fire pit.


Controlled fire, burning tree branches on a rural property
‚ÄčAgricultural Burn


Complete this online form if you are looking for a burn permit for an agricultural or rural property.


Applying for a Burn Permit

Before applying for a Burn Permit, you must ensure your property complies with the criteria listed in the applicable section above. Failure to do so may result in your permit being denied.

Please note, if you are a tenant, your landlord must complete the Property Owner Authorization Form to obtain a burn permit. This form must be submitted every year at the time of application. 

If your property meets the permit criteria set out above, you are ready to complete your permit application!

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit for a propane outdoor fire pit or table?
You do not require a burnCSA Approvalspermit to use a propane fire table/pit because it is not burning a solid fuel however, it must conform to the applicable Canadian Standards Association (CSA) codes and standards. When shopping for backyard propane or natural gas heater, firepit, fireplace or barbecue appliance, ensure that it displays one of the below certifications.
Can anyone supervise the fire? 
No. The permit holder or their designate (must be a person over the age of 18), must actively supervise the fire in it's entirety.
How do I know if my permit has been approved? 
Your approved permit will be emailed directly to you.
What form of payment is accepted? 
Payment can be made by cash, cheque, debit, MasterCard or Visa.
Can I buy my permit for two or more years?
No. Not at this time. We can only issue permits for the current calendar year.
How do I find out if the Town of BWG has a burning ban on? 
Permit holders are responsible for knowing the Town's current fire rating and complying with any burn bans. This also includes smog advisories or high wind advisories. Should a ban come into effect, this page and the Town's Fire Danger Rating page will be updated. Additionally, notices will be posted on Fire's Twitter @BWG_Fire. 
Will smoke and smells bother my neighbours?
You are not allowed to have an open-air fire that negatively affects your neighbours ability to enjoy their property. If a complaint is made, you may be required to put out your fire. 



Address: Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, 100 Dissette St., Unit 4, Bradford, ON, L3Z 2A7

Phone: 905-775-5366,

By GHD Digital