Driveway Paving and Widening

Driveway Paving

Driveway paving is the installation of a hard surface to an existing driveway and includes asphalt, concrete, interlocking stone, flagstone, cobbles, gravel, brick and any other like materials.​ It does NOT include driveway sealing or similar application of liquid top coat to an existing driveway.

Maintenance of a driveway to a residential or commercial property, including the apron (the piece between the road and the sidewalk or front property line) is​ the responsibility of the residential or commercial property owner.

Learn more about driveway paving

Do I need a Road Occupancy Permit to pave my driveway?

A Road Occupancy Permit (ROP) is only required if You (or your Contractor) intend on using the Town’s roadway or boulevard to place a storage bin, material, equipment, machinery, etc. Apply for an ROP here.

Once we have a permit, how can we ensure we get our deposit back?

Your paving contractor is responsible for protecting the water shut-off valve during paving operations and is responsible for any damage to the valve that may occur as a result of the work.

Home owners should also ensure that there is no damage to any areas in the Town owned Right-of-Way which includes the sidewalk, curb, roadway, grassed areas, etc. The homeowner will be responsible for any damage caused.

​​​Driveway Widening

Driveway widening is permitted in the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, provided that all relevant by-laws and standards are adhered to.

Learn more about driveway widening

I ​want to widen my driveway. What is and is not allowed?

  • A homeowner IS permitted to widen their driveway but may NOT modify the existing width at the curb (a.k.a. curb cutting).
  • The new full width of the driveway can extend from the front of the garage to the back of curb.
  • Driveway widenings are not permitted where they interfere with Town-owned boulevard trees, utility cabinets and/or other street furniture.

Why can't I get my curb widened/cut?

Cutting an existing curb in order to widen a driveway is prohibited in the Town of Bradford ​in order to preserve on-street parking and ensure that subdivisions comply with their overall design.

What do I need to know before undertaking driveway widening?

  • ​Driveway widenings must comply with the Town's Zoning By-law requirements
  • Driveway widenings shall not interfere with or obstruct existing drainage swales, sidewalks or catch basins
  • Water shut-off valves should not be located in a paved driveway where possible
  • Water shut-off valves that are located in paved driveways should be kept flush to grade where they can be easily accessed by Town staff
  • Landscaping, retaining walls, gardens, etc., are not permitted in the Town's boulevard
  • Any work done as part of a driveway widening is at the sole risk and responsibility of the property owner and the Town is not responsible for replacing any items removed from the boulevard should maintenance or reconstruction work be required

How is th​​e Zoning By-law relevant to widening my driveway?

Complia​nce with the Zoning By-law when widening a driveway ensures that:

  • landscaped amenity space is preserved
  • stormwater drainage remains unobstructed
  • neighbourhood character and urban design are not negatively impacted (i.e. creation of over-paving and parking lots is discouraged)
  • vehicles can be easily parked, entered and exited
  • front yards maintain a functional and organized layout.​​​

Wha​t definitions should I understand before going any further​?

Driveway: a defined area providing access for motor vehicles from a public or private street or a lane to facilities such as a parking area, parking lot, loading space, private garage, carport, building or structure.

Garage Door: the width of the garage door opening(s), which is used for vehicular access. Where there is more than one opening, the garage door width shall be the distance between the two outer extremities of the garage door opening(s), including any intervening columns, doors, windows or wall sections which might separate two or more garage door opening(s).

Required Parking Space: a required parking space must be 2.7m by 6.0m. For example, if you are widening your driveway for the purpose of creating a new required parking space you must be able to extend your driveway pad to a minimum dimension of 5.4m by 6.0m. (s5.4.1 of By-law 2010-050).

Note: Vehicles parked ​in the front, interior or exterior yard mus​t be parked within the maximum driveway width (i.e. not on the lawn/yard). (s5.15.2(a)(c) of By-law 2010-050).

How do I determine my maximum driveway width?

The maximum driveway width shall be the garage door width plus 1.5 metres. (s5.16.1(b) of By-law 2010-050).


  1. If you have an attached private garage with a total garage door width less than 3.6m you are permitted to have a maximum driveway width of 5.5m. PLEASE NOTE this exception does not apply to townhouses. (s5.16.1(c) of By-law 2010-050).
  2. If you have no attached or detached garage you are permitted to have a maximum driveway width of 5.5m. (s5.16.1(d) of By-law 2010-050).

What rules do I need to follow when designing my driveway, patio or walkway?

  • Hard surfaces must be no closer than 0.6 metres from the side lot line in order to maintain existing storm water drainage. (s3 of By-law 94-026 & Table 4.1, s5.4.1(f), and s5.15.2(f) of By-law 2010-050).
  • Vehicles located in the interior yard must be parked 1.0m away from the property line.(s5.15.2(e) of By-law 2010-050).
  • In calculating the driveway width, include any level hard surfacing connected to the driveway entrance that can be used to park a vehicle.

How do I find my property line?

If you don't know where your property lines are located, please review your legal plan. Often a legal plan is given to the owner at the time of purchase of the dwelling. If you cannot locate a legal plan please call the Building Department to see if they have one on file. A copy can be obtained by owner with valid photo identification.

Drawing on a copy of the legal plan is often an easier way to sketch up your plan.

Should you have questions, feel free to contact the Office of Community Planning.

Do I need a Road Occupancy Permit (ROP) to widen my driveway?

A Road Occupancy Permit (ROP) is only required if You (or your Contractor) intend on using the Town’s roadway or boulevard to place a storage bin, material, equipment, machinery, etc. Apply for an ROP here.

Important Notes

  • It is the Owner's responsibility to confirm the exact location of the property lines
  • The Owner and/or the contractor is responsible for any damage caused to the sidewalk, boulevard, street trees or any other street hardware resulting from work associated with the driveway widening
  • Please contact the Town’s Transportation Department if the curb in front of your home is not a standard curb and gutter prior to completing any works. Widening your driveway may effect on street parking. The Transportation Department’s contact information can be found below.

If you are planning to use a roadway for anything other than its intended purpose, you need to inform the municipality and may require a​ Road Occupancy Permit (ROP). Such uses include excavations and placement of material, fixtures or objects on public right-ofways (e.g. roads or boulevards).

Address: Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, 100 Dissette St., Unit 7&8, Bradford, ON, L3Z 2A7

Phone: 905-775-5366, Send an Email

By GHD Digital