Municipal Consent

What is Municipal Consent?

Municipal Consent (MC) is a process that allows utility companies to engage the Town to occupy a specific location within the Town’s owned Right-Of-Way (R.O.W).

MC’s are only issued to utility companies, contractors or persons who have the authority to construct, operate and maintain their infrastructure within the R.O.W.

When do I need Municipal Consent?

Municipal Consent is required for the following works:

  • Installing new infrastructure 
  • Completion of major upgrades
  • Repairing or replacing existing infrastructure 

Emergency works or short single residential service connections not working within or crossing a Town operated roadway are exempt from the Municipal Consent process.

If you are unsure if your works require Municipal Consent please reach out to for assistance.

 Application Requirements 

All Municipal Consent applications must include the following:


A Cover Letter stating the date, contact person, contact information, company name, company address, company project number(s) (if applicable), sub-contractor information including telephone number(s), main contact person and contact information. The Cover Letter shall also identify the location of the proposed work and include a detailed description of the proposed work.


Detailed drawings of the proposed work including the following as a minimum:

  •  An arrow that shows which direction is north;
  • A legend;
  • The drawing's scale;
  • Street names for all streets;
  • Property and building numbers for all properties and buildings;
  • Lot, concession and township information;
  • Property lines, right-of-way limits and easement limits;
  • Description, location and dimensions of the proposed utility. 
  • The following roadway features must also be included but are not limited to driveways, pavement or curbs along the road, guide rails or cables, sidewalks, fencing, trees, ditches, existing utilities, and above or below-ground structures (including watermain, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, MH, CB, hydrants and culverts).

Review and Approval 

The Town requires a minimum of 30 business days prior to the planned start date of work to review applications.


Once the works have been reviewed and approved, a letter of approval including the approved drawing set will be provided back to the applicant. If an application is not approved, the Town will provide the applicant with comments. A re-submission with revisions will then be required.

How to Apply

Applications may be submitted through the Municipal Consent Form below. 


Municipal Consent Form

Address: Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, 100 Dissette St., Unit 7&8, Bradford, ON, L3Z 2A7

Phone: 905-775-5366, Send an Email

By GHD Digital