Burn Permits

UPDATE 2023-06-1210:51:33 AM: The Open Air Fire Burning and Fireworks Ban has been lifted.

In accordance with BWG's Open Air Burning By-law 2012-026, all outdoor burning requires a burn permit. Residents should be aware that starting a fire on their property without first obtaining a burn permit is in contravention of the Open Air Burning By-law and is subject to fines. 

It is the Applicant's responsibility to understand and follow the current Open Air Burning By-law and the Fire Danger Rating. Failure to do so also may result in fines. 

There are 3 different types of permits available in BWG:

A backyard patio featuring an outdoor fireplace
Wood Burning Appliance

Complete this online form if you are looking for a burn permit for a backyard wood burning appliance like a chiminea or outdoor fireplace.

Up close image of an outdoor firepit with two marshmallows roasting over it
Open Air Burn


Complete this online form if you are looking for a burn permit for the purposes of an open air burn like a burn barrel or fire pit.


Controlled fire, burning tree branches on a rural property
​Agricultural Burn


Complete this online form if you are looking for a burn permit for an agricultural or rural property.


Applying for a Burn Permit

Before applying for a Burn Permit, you must ensure your property complies with the criteria listed in the applicable section above. Failure to do so may result in your permit being denied.

Please note, if you are a tenant, your landlord must complete the Property Owner Authorization Form to obtain a burn permit. This form must be submitted every year at the time of application. 

If your property meets the permit criteria set out above, you are ready to complete your permit application!

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit for a propane outdoor fire pit or table?
You do not require a burnCSA Approvalspermit to use a propane fire table/pit because it is not burning a solid fuel however, it must conform to the applicable Canadian Standards Association (CSA) codes and standards. When shopping for backyard propane or natural gas heater, firepit, fireplace or barbecue appliance, ensure that it displays one of the below certifications.
Can anyone supervise the fire? 
No. The permit holder or their designate (must be a person over the age of 18), must actively supervise the fire in it's entirety.
How do I know if my permit has been approved? 
Your approved permit will be emailed directly to you.
What form of payment is accepted? 
Payment can be made by cash, cheque, debit, MasterCard or Visa.
Can I buy my permit for two or more years?
No. Not at this time. We can only issue permits for the current calendar year.
How do I find out if the Town of BWG has a burning ban on? 
Permit holders are responsible for knowing the Town's current fire rating and complying with any burn bans. This also includes smog advisories or high wind advisories. Should a ban come into effect, this page and the Town's Fire Danger Rating page will be updated. Additionally, notices will be posted on Fire's Twitter @BWG_Fire. 
Will smoke and smells bother my neighbours?
You are not allowed to have an open-air fire that negatively affects your neighbours ability to enjoy their property. If a complaint is made, you may be required to put out your fire. 



Address: Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, 100 Dissette St., Unit 7&8, Bradford, ON, L3Z 2A7

Phone: 905-775-5366, Send an Email

By GHD Digital