Sign In

Bradford West Gwillimbury

Skip Navigation LinksBradford West Gwillimbury > Town Services > Building & Permits

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Building Division

The Building Division is responsible for the enforcement of the Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code. This includes issuing building permits and inspecting all newly constructed buildings. 

A building p​ermit​ must be obtained from the Town of BWG before you begin most construction projects within the municipality, as per the Building By-law.

We can process your application quickly and efficiently when provided with all of the necessary information. Choose a topic below to learn more about the process.

 Home Owners

When is a building permit required?

​You must obtain a building permit before you:

  • Construct any new building over ten square metres in area or place another structure, such as a mobile home, on your property
  • Change the use of a building
  • Excavate or construct a foundation
  • Construct a seasonal building
  • Undertake work regarding the installation, alteration, extension or repair of an on-site sewage system

If you are unsure whether a building permit is required, please consult with the Town’s Building Division at 905-775-5366 ext. 1500.​

How do I apply for a building permit?

​​Visit the Building Projects page for details on the process required for ​specific projects.​

My permit is issued, now what?

The Building Code sets out the stages of construction when different types of buildings must undergo a mandatory inspection. A Prescribed Notices for Inspections form will be provided to the Applicant upon permit pick-up which outlines what inspections are required and at what stage. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to contact the Building Division to request an inspection. During the inspection, an inspector will inspect the work to determine if it is carried out in accordance with the Building Code, your permit and the approved plans.

To request an inspection, simply contact the Building Division 48 hours in advance at 905-775-5366 ext. 1500 or​.

 Residential Builders

We're ready to work with you!

​​​The Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury’s Building Division staff issue permits and inspect properties.

​​​Our permit administrators will ​provide general information or direct you to a building inspector for technical information. We will assign building inspectors to your file before you have to register your plan.

To allow this process to move as quickly as possible, please provide c​​omplete and accurate information, and carefully review all of the information we provide you.

Read below for information on how to take advantage of our Certified Model Program.​​

See the page of common Building Projects for information and forms for:

  • building an individual residence
  • constructing an addition
  • conducting a renovation
  • interior finishing of a residential or commercial/industrial/institutional building
  • changing the use of a building

Certified Model Program

​The Certified Model Program is an application process prescribed by the Chief Building Official and must be completed for each model. The town of Bradford West Gwillimbury By-law defines a certified model as a unique building design for a detached dwelling, semi-detached unit or townhouse unit that has been reviewed by the Chief Building Official for compliance with the Building Code and is intended for construction pursuant to a permit issued under the Act. A certified model is not itself a building permit.

​​Download the Certified Model Application.

For further informa​​tion on the Certified Model Program, please contact the Building Division.

Site servicing

​The Fill and Site Alteration By-law requires that a permit be obtained for site servicing, as described therein.

Applicable law

Resulting from recent changes to the Ontario Building Code, the definition of applicable law has been replaced with a list of statutes and regulations. Building permit applicants must establish compliance with applicable law at the time of permit application submission.

Confirm required approvals by using the Applicable Law Checklist.

Agriculture & Food

  • Nutrient Management Act 2002 s. 11: Farm buildings housing animals or animal manure
  • Milk Act s.14: Buildings used as milk processing plant.

Charitable Institutions

  • Charitable Institutions Act s. 5: Where building is used for charitable institution.

Child Care Centres

  • Day Nurseries Act s.5: Where a building is used for a daycare.


  • Environmental Assessment Act s.5: major I/ C/ I projects.
  • MOE Certificate of Approval Environmental Protection Act s.9: where building may discharge contaminants.
  • Brownfield Redevelopment Environmental Protection Act s. 168: where industrial or commercial property changed to residential or parkland use.
  • Former Landfills, Environmental Protection Act s.46: where building on former waste disposal site.

Funeral Homes

  • Funeral Directors and Establishments Act s.9: where building houses a funeral establishment.


  • Public Transportation & Highway Improvement Act s. 34/38: permit form Minister for construction projects located within 45 meters of King's highway.


  • Public Hospitals Act s.4: New hospitals and facilities or additions to existing hospitals.
  • Private Hospitals Act s. 22: where house is used as a private hospital.

Public Lands Development

  • Work Permit, Public Lands Act s. Ont. Reg. 453/96: Construction of a building on Public Lands.

Senior Citizens

  • Nursing Home Licensing, Nursing Homes Act s. 4 & 5: construction, alteration or conversion of building to a nursing home.
  • Retirement Homes, Homes for the Aged & Rest Homes Act s.14 & Elderly Persons Centres Act s.6: Where building used as a home for the aged.

Ontario Building Code requirements for new construction

​Ontario Building Code changes came into effect for all permits applied for after December 31, 2011. They are related to:
  • Energy efficiency for houses
  • Improved air barrier requirements
  • Occupancy permits for certain buildings of residential occupancy

Review a presentation on these requirements.

 Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI)

How do I apply for a building permit?

Visit the Building Projects page for de​tails on the process required for ​specific projects.​