We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In

Bradford West Gwillimbury

Skip Navigation LinksBradford West Gwillimbury > Council & Committees


What is a Third Party Advertiser?

A Third Party Advertiser means any person or entity, an individual, corporation, or trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario, who incurs expenses with respect to promoting, supporting, or opposing: 

  1. a candidate; or 
  2. a "yes" or "no" answer to a question, referendum, or an issue associated with a person or political party participating in an election, under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.

A Third Party Advertiser must be registered with the Clerk of the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury. Registration will be accepted by the Clerk/Returning Officer or designate from May 2, 2022 to October 21, 2022 at the Administration Centre, located at 100 Dissette Street, Units 7 & 8 (see below for more information about registration).​

What is a Third Party Advertisement?

A Third Party Advertisement is a message in any medium, i.e., signs, billboard, newspaper, radio, etc.) promoting or opposing a candidate, or a 'yes' or 'no' to a question, referendum, or an issue associated with a person or political party participating in an election. 

Advertising that does not cost money to post or broadcast, such as comments made on social media or email, is not considered a Third Party Advertisement.

Am I eligible to register as a Third Party Advertiser?

You are eligible to register as a Third Party Advertiser if you are: 

  • An individual who is normally resident in Ontario; 
  • A corporation that carries on business in Ontario; or 
  • A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario. 

You are not eligible to register as a Third Party Advertiser if you are: 

  • A candidate;
  • A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act or any federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party; 
  • A provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act; or
  • The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board.

How does registration work and what forms do I need?

When and how is registration done?

Registration must be done in person or by agen​t, and by appointment,​​ at the Administration Office, located at 100 Dissette Street, Units 7 & 8. Registration is open from May 2, 2022 to October 21, 2022, during regular office hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).

All Third Party Advertisers must register with the municipality where they want to advertise. If you want to advertise in more than one municipality, you must register with each municipality.

A list of Registered Third Party Advertisers will be made available on the Town website, and any other information the Clerk/Returning Officer deems appropriate. 

Is there a fee for registration?

There is no registration fee for Third Party Advertisers.

What forms and documents do I need to file?

A third party candidate filing their own registration may fill out the forms listed below either in advance or at the Clerk's office. 

If an agent is filing on the registrant's behalf, the registrant must fill out the forms in advance and sign where indicated, with the exception of the Declaration of Qualifications, which must be signed by the agent in front of the Clerk or designated Town staff member (see below).

Please note that links to all forms will be provided as they become available.

Notice of Registration

  • This form provides detailed information about the advertiser and identifies the representative authorized to make the agreement. The bottom section (beginning with "Da​te Filed") will be filled out at the Clerk's office.

Declaration of Qualifications - Third Party Advertiser (choose correct type) :
A - Individual
B - Corporation
C - Trade Union

  • The applicable form MUST be filled out at the Town offices and witnessed by a member of the Clerk's office. If someone other than the advertiser's official representative has been designated to file the registration on their behalf, the agent will be expected to sign the paper in their stead.

Consent to Release Personal Information  

  • This form lets us know how you wish to be contacted by the Clerk's office and by electors. At minimum, third part advertisers must be willing to have the names of the registrant and their representative made public.

Authorization for Agent to File Registration

  • ​If an advertiser wishes to designate someone other than their official representative to file their nomination papers, that agent must appear at the Clerk's office with all of the forms indicated above PLUS the Authorization for Agent to File Registration.​

What else do I need to know about Third Party Advertisements?

​It is the responsibility of the Third Party Advertiser to adhere to provisions of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, and the procedures required by the Clerk/Returning Officer, as applicable. The Ministry of Municipal Affairs has prepared the 2022 Candidates' guide for third part advertisers Ontario municipal council and school board elections. The Guide is now available here​ and can also be found under related links​

When can a Registered Third Party begin advertising?

Advertising may begin once your registration has been filed, and the last day is Monday, October 21, 2022

Are there other rules for using election signs?

Election signs within Town limits are regulated by the Town's Sign By-law. Please refer to this By-law for information regarding where election signs may and may not be placed. 

What mandatory information is required on the advertisements?

All Third Party Advertisements shall contain the following information:

  • the name of the Registered Third Party Advertiser;

  • the municipality where the Third Party Advertiser is registered; and 

  • a telephone number, mailing address or email address at which the Registered Third Party Advertiser may be contacted regarding the advertisement.

What is the mandatory information for a broadcaster?

All Registered Third Party Advertisers must provide the following information to the broadcasters or publisher in writing before the Third Party Advertisements appears: 

  • the name of the Registered Third Party Advertiser;

  • the municipality where the Third Party Advertiser is registered; and

  • a telephone number, mailing address or email address at which the Registered Third Party Advertiser may be contacted regarding the advertisement.

Are there campaign finance rules that apply to Third Party Advertisers?

Yes, campaign finance rules for Third Party Advertisers are similar to the rules for candidates. For example: 

  • Third Party Advertisers have spending limits and there are contribution limits for those wishing to contribute to a Third Party Advertiser.

  • Corporations and trade unions are permitted to make contributions to a Registered Third Party Advertisers, but are not permitted to make contributions to candidates. 

  • The maximum contribution from a single contributor is $1,200 to a Third Party Advertiser and $5,000 to two or more Third Party Advertisers in a municipality.

  • A Registered Third Party must file with the Clerk, a financial statement and auditor's report, in the prescribed form, reflecting the Registered Third Party's campaign finances in relation to the advertisements. 

Please see the Municipal Elections Act, 1996​ for complete duties and responsibilities of a Registered Third Party Advertiser.

What important dates and events should I know about?

May 2, 2022 (8:30 am) to October 21, 2022 (4:30 pm)
Timeframe for Third Party Advertisers to file their Notice of Registration with the Clerk.​​

More Frequently Asked Questions

What are the expense limits for third parties?

A third party can only accept contributions once they have registered as a Third Party Advertiser, and cannot accept contributions after the advertising campaign period has finished. The expense limit for Third Parties Advertisers is calculated by the Clerk in accordance with Section 88.21(15) of the Municipal Act and provided to the Third Party Advertiser at the time of registration 

When may contributions be made to third parties?

Contributions to Registered Third Party Advertisers for a municipal election may only be made during the campaign period, beginning after the Third Party Advertiser has registered until January 3, 2023. 

Are there any requirements for the broadcaster?

Broadcasters and publishers must maintain records of:

  • the information collected in writing
  • a copy of the advertisement (or the means of reproducing the advertisement for inspection)
  • a statement of the charge made for its appearance

These records must be kept for 4 years after the date the advertisement appears, and public must be permitted to inspect the records.

Third Party Advertising is restricted from the start of the campaign period on May 2 until the close of voting on October 24, 2022. Broadcasters and publishers are not required to collect information or retain records for advertisements that appear before May 2.

Where can I find more information?

To find more information regarding registering as a Third Party Advertisers for the 2022 municipal council and school board elections, please contact the Clerk's Office , reference 2022 Third Party Advertisers' Guide or visit www.mah.gov.on.ca. ​


2022 Forms