BWG Curbside Treasure Hunt Days
Curbside Treasure Hunt Days usually take place the last weekend of May and September, from 7 a.m. Saturday to 7 p.m. Sunday. Like us on Facebook for notices on upcoming events.
For 2021, the spring/summer event will take place on Saturday, July 31 and Sunday, August 1.
On Curbside Treasure Hunt Days, Town of BWG residents are invited to place unwanted, gently used items at the curb for other residents to take for their own use, free of charge. This is a great opportunity to give unwanted items a new life while keeping them out of landfill!
How to give away treasure:
- Place unwanted, gently used items at the curb in front of your home starting at 7 a.m. on Saturday.
- ALL items (or boxes of items) must be clearly labelled with a FREE sign. Make your own or
click here for printable signs.
- Unclaimed items must be removed from the curb by 7 p.m. Sunday evening. If items are left at the curb after Treasure Hunt Days are over, it could result in a by-law violation.
- Only put out items that are still in good condition for re-use or able to be repaired.
ANY ITEM THAT CAN POSE A DANGER to another person must NOT be left at the curb. For example, appliances with doors that a child could crawl into and get trapped should not be left out, or should have the door removed first. Anything with a sharp point or edge may not be left out.
- Safety equipment such as car seats and helmets should not be reused/given away. Please visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau to find out about items that are NOT SAFE to give away.
- Put away items you DO NOT want to give away to avoid confusion.
Please keep sidewalks and hydrants clear.
How to hunt for treasure:
- Tour the neighbourhoods of BWG to find what's been put at the curb for the taking.
(Feel like venturing further? Curbside giveaways may also be taking place in York Region).
Only take items that are clearly marked FREE. If there is any doubt, particularly about items like bicycles and sports nets, do NOT take the item.
- Please respect private property and do not walk on people's lawns or knock on doors to inquire about items.
- Obey traffic laws at all times (e.g. do not block traffic and driveways or park illegally) and watch out for children.
NOTE TO SCRAP METAL COLLECTORS: Please limit your treasure hunting to after 2 p.m. on Sunday afternoons of Treasure Hunt Days, and take items whole and as-is. You may not take apart items at curbside or leave behind unwanted pieces. Making garbage out of re-usable items is contrary to the intent of this event so we appreciate your cooperation in ensuring that materials stay out of landfill.
What to do with unclaimed items:
- Items must be removed from the curb at the end of the weekend to avoid a by-law violation.
- Consider donating unclaimed items to charitable, non-profit organizations or community groups.*
- Post your item for trade or sale on local buy-and-sell Facebook groups.
- The County of Simcoe typically offers a bulky item collection for a nominal fee from June through September; however, this service is not being offered in 2021. Click for details.
- Take your items to the local waste depot for proper disposal or recycling.
Click for locations and details.
Wondering where to donate?
PLEASE NOTE: You are still required to remove your items from the curb by 7 p.m. on Sunday and then make arrangements for pick-up/donation of items.
(If you would like to provide information about an additional local charity that will accept used household goods, please send it to
firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be pleased to add it here.)
Habitat For Humanity Huronia
128 Brock St., Barrie
Redwood Furniture Bank
- Accepts donations of gently used furniture to help people moving into transitional homes or affordable housing.
- Call 888-432-8449 or
visit their website to request a quote for a pick-up.
- Tax receipt is provided.
Re-Source Thrift Shop
118 Holland St. E, Bradford
- Accept donations of gently used (clean, unbroken) housewares, furniture, clothing and more. Large items will be inspected in the parking lot for suitability before being brought indoors.
- Donations may only be made during store hours and only if they have room for new items. You may wish to call first at 905-551-6600 or visit their Facebook page for current information.
Please note: Information provided by the Town of BWG about Treasure Hunt Day is intended as helpful advice only; it is not legally binding. Curbside Treasure Hunt Day participants are responsible for the goods they are giving away and the goods they are acquiring. The Town of BWG does not accept any liability for any actions taken by participants in the Treasure Hunt Day or for the type or quality of goods being given away or acquired as part of the Treasure Hunt Day.