The Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury does not currently provide services related to wildlife on private property. Property owners should contact a wildlife control or removal company at their own expense to have the wildlife removed. Please consult the internet or local yellow pages for further information.
If a domestic dog or cat is suspected to have rabies, please contact BWG Animal Control at 905-775-5366 x.1702. If it is a wild animal and there is a danger to public safety, please contact South Simcoe Police at 905-775-3311 or 911 for an emergency. Please also find a link to information about rabies found on the CFIA website on the right.
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry warns that feeding squirrels, rabbits, raccoons and other wildlife is dangerous for the animals because:
- Animals can become dependent on artificial food sources;
- Animals can lose their natural fear of humans and pets, becoming more prone to conflict;
- Artificial feed is not healthy for wildlife (peanuts are not actually an ideal food for squirrels!);
- Wild animals may gather in large numbers when they are being fed — this concentration of animals in one area can spread parasites and disease and cause destruction of natural habitat;
- Feeding animals near roads increases their risk of being hit by vehicles.
It may be tempting for animal lovers to feed and interact with them, but a better way to show you care is to watch from a distance and keep unnatural food sources (including garbage) out of their reach.
For more see the MNRF's feeding wildlife dos and don'ts.
The Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury represents the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs for the reporting of the loss or injured livestock due to predators such wolves and coyotes. Please contact the Town within 48 hours of discovering the killed or injured livestock. The Town has appointed a Livestock Valuer who will assist with livestock evaluations and the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program.
For evaluations, please contact: Lawrence Hawton at 905-729-2150