Sign In

Bradford West Gwillimbury

Skip Navigation LinksBradford West Gwillimbury > Town Services

Municipal elections in Ontario are held once every four years on the fourth Monday in October. The next municipal election will be held Monday, October 22, 2018.​

Learn more about voting or running for office by selecting a topic below.


What's different about the 2018 municipal election?

​There are several changes to how you will vote in the 2018 municipal election. Most importantly:

  • There will be NO PAPER BALLOTS. Voting will take place by telephone or internet only. If you require assistance there will still be public locations where you can go to vote and receive help, but this voting will be done by internet only.
  • Voting may take place at any time during the voting period from October 12 at 10:00 a.m. to October 22 at 8:00 p.m. There is no longer a designated "voting day".
  • Proxy voting ​will not be permitted since eligible voters can place their vote using the internet from anywhere in the world, or using touch-tone telephone from anywhere in North America.​
There are also some changes that affect candidates (see Candidates section below).

Who can vote in a municipal election?

Am I eligible to vote?

You are eligible to vote if you live in BWG (either as a tenant or property owner) or y​our spouse lives in BWG. You also must be a Canadian citizen, at least 18 years old and not prohibited from voting under subsection 17 (3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (see below).

Everyone who is on the voters' list will receive a voter notification letter in the mail in the fall (usually September) with the information you need to vote.​​

Who is NOT allowed to vote?

1. A person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution cannot vote.

2. A corporation is not entitled to a vote.

3. A person acting as executor or trustee in any other representative capacity cannot vote, except as a voting proxy in accordance with section 44 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.

4. A person who was convicted of a corrupt practice described in subsection 90 (3), of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, cannot vote if voting day in the current election is less than five years after voting day in the election in respect of which he or she was convicted.

Can I vote for candidates in wards other than the one I live in? 

No. If you live in BWG, you must vote for a candidate representing the ward you live in. This information will be contained in the voting system - whether you vote online or by phone - and it will only permit you to vote for a candidate running for Councillor of your home ward.​

If I own more than one property in BWG can I vote more than once?

No, each person is entitled to only one vote, no matter how many properties they own in BWG. If you DON'T live in BWG but DO own property here, you may vote for a Councillor candidate representing the ward where your property is located. If you own more than one property, you must choose only one ward to vote for. You should also make sure that you are on the voters' list for that qualifying address.​ Non-resident electors are not eligible to vote for a School Board Trustee candidate.​

When, where and how do I vote?

WHEN do I vote?

You may place your vote by phone or internet ANY TIME between October 12 at 10:00 a.m. and October 22 at 8:00 p.m. Both the telephone and internet systems are available 24 hours a day throughout this period.

WHERE and do I vote?

All votes must be cast us​ing either the internet or touch-tone telephone. You do not need to leave your home or office to vote - simply place your vote using any touch tone telephone, or online from any location using your computer, tablet or smartphone with internet connection. 

There will be NO PAPER BALLOTS used in the 2018 election.

If you require assistance to vote, or would like to vote by internet and do not have access at home, you can visit a Voter Help Centre - see below for locations and times.

HOW do I vote?

  1. ​Ensure you are on the voters' list (as soon as it is available, a link will be provided to the website where you can do this).
  2. Receive your voter notification letter in the mail, and double-check that all of the information on it is correct, including your name, address and school board that you support. The letter will provide a number to call if any of this information is incorrect.
  3. Review the instructions in the letter, which will include the telephone number and website address that you can use to access the voting system, your Voter ID number and a unique code (PIN) to access the system. Voters will be required to enter specific information to confirm their identity.
  4. At any time during the voting period, call the phone number or go to the website address provided and follow the prompts to cast your vote for Mayor, Deputy Mayor, the councillor for your ward and the trustee for the school board that you support.

What if I need more information or help?

Can I get a demonstration of the system and ask questions?

Yes! Public information sessions will be held to demonstrate and explain the system to voters and candidates​. Watch this website and our Facebook page for details, coming soon.

What do I do if I miss the info session or I still have questions?

Before and during the​ Voting Period, you can get help in a variety of ways:

  • visit the Town Administration Office at 100 Dissette St., Units 7&8, open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm;
  • call the BWG Votes Hotline at 905-775-5366;
  • email​;
  • use the live chat feature, which will be set up on the Town's website closer to the voting period.

​Where can I go to get in-person help?

Voter Help Centres will be set up with voting stations for anyone who wishes to come to one of these locations to place their vote via the internet.

BWG Library Voter Help Centre
425 Holland St. W (Zima Room)

  • Saturday, October 13, 10am-4pm
  • Monday through Friday, October 15-19, 4-9pm
  • Saturday, October 20, 10am-8pm
  • Monday, October 22m 10am-8pm
Town Administration Office Voter Help Centre
100 Dissette St., Units 7&8:
  • ​Monday through Friday, October 15-19 & 22, 
Mobile Voter Help Centres will be established at the following institutional and multiresidential buildings for residents of those facilities. Dates and times to be determined:
  • Bradford Valley Special Care, 2656 Line 6
  • Leblanc Rest Home, 40 Toronto Street
  • LOFT Community Services, 136 Barrie Street
  • Simcoe County Housing Corporation, 100 Miller Park Avenue
  • Simcoe Condominium Corporation, 200 Holland Court

More Frequently Asked Questions

Will there be an advance voting period?

There is no longer a set voting day or advance voting period. Voters may cast their ballots by phone or online any time between October 12 at 10:00 a.m. and October 22 at 8:00 p.m.

Is proxy voting still allowed?

No, proxy voting (which is when an eligible voter designates another eligible voter to vote on their behalf if they are unable to do so themselves) will not be permitted in the 2018 municipal election. Eligible voters can place their vote using the internet from anywhere in the world, or using touch-tone telephone from anywhere in North America.

When, where and how do I find out who the candidates are?

As candidates are nominated, they will be added to the list of unofficial candidates on this website. After the nomination period closes on July 27, the nominations will be certified by the Clerk. Once this process is complete, the list of certified candidates will be available on this website.

Have the wards changed?

No. An official 2018 Ward Map will be published soon, but you can look at the 2014 ward map​ if you wish as boundaries have not changed.

Will free transit be provided for voters?

Because voting can now take place from any location, free transit will not be provided for voting purposes.

Will you be hiring staff to help with voting?

There may be some additional staff required to assist at the Voter Help Centre. If you are interested in applying for this or any position with the Town of BWG, follow us on Facebook or Twitter, or check this website periodically.


What's different about the 2018 municipal election?

​There are several changes to the 2018 municipal election that candidates should be aware of. In addition to the changes to voting (see Voters' section above):

  • The nomination period is much shorter - nominations for candidates in the 2018 election must be made between May 1 and July 27, 2018.
  • The Municipal Elections Act now includes a framework for third party advertising. The framework will come into effect on April 1, 2018.​
  • Anyone wishing to run for a council seat now must submit the signatures of 25 eligible voters supporting the nomination. The individuals providing the signatures will each have to sign a declaration stating that they were eligible to vote in the municipality on the day that they signed the endorsement. (This requirement does not apply to candidates running for school board trustee positions.)​
Click here for more information on these changes.

Am I eligible to run as a candidate in this election?

Running for Town Council

You must be eligible to vote in a municipality in order to run for a position on council. (see above)

On the day you file your nomination, you must be a Canadian citizen aged 18 or older, and qualify as a resident or non-resident elector. 

You must be eligible to hold office on the day you file your nomination. For example, a person who is 17 years old but will turn 18 before the end of the nomination period must wait until they have turned 18 to file their nomination.

You do not have to live in a particular ward in order to be its councillor; however, if you run in a ward where you do not live, you will not be able to vote for yourself. Having a campaign office or a business in a ward where you would not be otherwise eligible to vote does not make you eligible to vote in that ward.

You must file the appropriate paperwork when you submit your nomination - documents will be available soon.

Running for School Board Trustee

In order to run for a trustee position on a school board you must be a resident within the jurisdiction of the board, and you must be eligible to vote in a school board election. 

On the day you file your nomination, you must be a Canadian citizen aged 18 or older, and you must meet any other qualifications to vote for the school board (for example, being a Roman Catholic, or holding French language rights). 

You must file the appropriate paperwork when you submit your nomination - documents will be available soon.

How does nomination work?

When and how is nomination done?

Candidates who intend to be run in the 2018 Municipal Election must file all of the necessary documentation along with the required filing fee during the nomination period, which runs from May 1 to July 27, 2018. Nomination Day on July 27 is the last day to file a nomination, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. 

Filing must be done in person or by an agent (not by mail, email or fax) with the Clerk at 100 Dissette St., Units 7&8 during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).  

Forms and fee information will be published on this website soon. 

What positions can I run for?

The 2018 Municipal Election is for the following positions: 

  • 1 Mayor (elected at large)
  • 1 Deputy Mayor (elected at large)
  • 7 Councillors (1 Councillor elected for each ward)
  • 1 Trustee for the English Language Public District School Board
  • 1 Trustee for the English Language Catholic District School Board
  • 1 Trustee for the French Language Public School Board
  • 1 Trustee for the ​French Language Catholic School Board

Can I nominate myself?

Yes, you may nominate yourself. Even if another person recommends you for the position, you must complete all the paperwork and be present to file your nomination or file through an agent. You must also obtain and submit the signatures of 25 people eligible to vote in the 2018 BWG elections who support your nomination.

Can I run in a different ward than the one where I live?

As long as you are eligible to vote in the municipality, you may run in any ward. If you run in a ward where you do not live, you will not be able to vote for yourself.

What if I change my mind after I have submitted my nomination paperwork and want to withdraw or switch to a different ward or position?

A person may withdraw his or her nomination by filing a written Withdrawal of Nomination in the Clerk's Office before 2:00 p.m. on July 27, 2018.

If you wish to run for a different position or in a different ward, you must re-file your nomination paperwork in the Clerk's Office before 2:00 p.m. on July 27, 2018​, which will trigger your original nomination to be withdrawn. ​You do not need to submit different signatures from the ones you submitted with your initial nomination.​​

What do I need to know about campaigning?

​A complete 2018 Candidates' Information Guide is coming soon and an information session for candidates will be held. Here is some basic information:

When can I start my campaign?

Campaigning may begin once your nomination has been filed. The date on which candidates may begin to display and distribute signs must be decided upon by the current Council, and will be publicized soon. This date cannot be before the end of the nomination period.

Are there other rules for using campaign signs?

Campaign signs fall under the Town's sign by-law as well as provincial Acts. Details on their use will be covered in the 2018 Candidates' Information Guide, coming soon.

Can I use the Town logo or photos from a Town website or social media site on my campaign materials?

No, candidates may not use the Town’s logo or other corporate images (including Town-owned photos) on their own websites (including social media), campaign literature, lawn signs, buttons, clothing or other campaign material. 

Candidates MAY re-tweet/share a Town social media post or share a link from Town of BWG websites on their own websites including social media. Candidates wishing to share information/pages from the Town's official websites must do so by providing links rather than screen captures. 

​Can I campaign at public events?

You may NOT campaign at events that are hosted by the Town. These include the annual events highlighted at the top of the Town's Events webpage, as well as any other events such as public information sessions or open houses. Wearing a campaign T-shirt, hat, button or other apparel is considered campaigning.

You may campaign at private events held on private property. Additionally, a private organization or candidate may rent a Town space (such as a community centre) for a campaign or other event and permit campaigning if they choose, so long as all campaigning activity and signage is limited to the interior space.

Can I have a campaign office?

You may set up a campaign office on private property. Please be aware that you may not put up signs on the exterior or in the windows of the office that promote your candidacy prior to the TBD date when signs are permitted. Prior to that date, signs may state your name only.

More Frequently Asked Questions

​What is involved in being on Town Council?

As a councillor, you have representative, policy-making and stewardship roles to play in your municipality. Often these roles will overlap. You will be called on to consider and make decisions on issues that will sometimes be complex and controversial. Most of those decisions will have long-term consequences for your municipality that extend beyond your four-year term of office, and should be made in the context of your municipality’s directions for the long-term health and welfare of your community. 

The time commitment can be significant. In addition to bi-monthly council meetings, this may include sitting on committees, public meetings and events to take part in, as well as considerable time spent talking with and responding to the residents in your Ward. The amount of time required to prepare for a Council or committee meeting can be several hours per week due to the number of lengthy reports to be read in advance.

The Mayor and Deputy Mayor also sit on Simcoe County Council.

How much are Council members paid?

A BWG Council position is not considered or expected to be a full-time position. Council annual remuneration, as of January 1, 2018, is as follows: 
- Mayor: $38,951 plus expenses
- Deputy Mayor: $25,875 plus expenses
- Councillor: $20,410 plus expenses​