All projects for which a Building Permit has been issued are required to be inspected at various stages of construction by an Inspector from the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury.
Please book your inspection with a minimum of 48 hours notice, however, next day service is usually available.
The owner or permit holder must be present during all mandatory inspections. Site copy of approved permit drawings must be available during all inspections. If no person is present upon arrival of the inspector, then no inspection will be conducted.
Please be advised that the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury is committed to ensuring that all of our employees are provided with a healthy and safe work environment. Any job site found to contain unsafe conditions will receive no inspections from the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury until the unsafe conditions are corrected.
The Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury does not perform electrical inspections. The electrical inspections are performed by the Electrical Safety Authority (705) 726-5169.
Mandatory Inspection Requirements
Footings should be ready to pour. Cleaned of all foreign debris and loose material. Formwork secured in place. including footing for fireplace.
2. Backfill (Foundation & Weepers)
Parging on concrete block to be completed. Damp-proofing of the foundation to be completed. Weeping tile to be covered with a minimum of 6" clear gravel. Drainage layer is to be installed (when required).
3. Exterior Drains/Supply
Water supply to be installed from house to road with all couplings installed. All exterior drains to be covered with gravel and a test T installed. Trenches to be constructed in accordance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and regulations.
4. Interior drains
All roughed-in drains under slab to be complete and leveled. Ball test will be required.
5. Plumbing Rough-In
All roughed-in waste and vent pipes to be inspected and water or air pressure tested. All roughed-in hot and cold water supply pipes to be inspected with an air pressure test.
6. H.V.A.C. Rough-In
All supply and air return ducting to be completed. All ventilation ducting to be completed for exhaust fans.
Plumbing and H.V.A.C. rough-ins must be approved prior to framing inspection all rough carpentry to be completed. Fire stopping to be completed on bulkheads, boxes, drop ceiling and cabinetry where possible.
8. Solid Fuel Burning Fireplace or Woodstove Rough-In
Rough-in of masonry hearth, smoke chamber and chimney to be completed. Factory-built fireplaces and woodstoves are to be installed, including chimneys and all enclosures to be framed, but not covered
9. Insulation and Vapour Barrier
All insulation to be completed. Vapour barrier to be completed. If blown ceiling insulation is used, the ceiling vapour barrier must also be installed. Fire stopping to be completed in bulkheads, boxes, cabinetry, drop ceilings, at top and bottom plate breeches (supply ducts and waste pipes), concealed spaces, and tubs. Exterior of building to be weather tight, including installation of roofing materials (i.e. shingles).
10. Sanitary Sewer Lateral Camera Inspection
Inspection by Engineering Services prior to occupancy inspection,
- Basement Floors poured (concrete).
- Proper access required such as permanent stairs and handrails.
- Cleanout must be free and clear of any debris.
- Water and Hydro must be available within the house for the Camera Operators.
- Sanitary Sewer Line must be flushed.
- Site super or designate to accompany the Inspector during the process.
11. Water Meter Inspection
To ensure the proper installation and function of water meter. For more information, please contact the Engineering Department.
Installations of all required guards and handrails, doors, lighting, interior finishes including floors, and smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Plumbing system completed and all fixtures installed. HVAC system completed and operating
Final inspection will be mandatory, beginning January 1, 2012. This includes:
- Exterior building envelope including flashing, caulking, roof and mechanical venting completed;
- Deck guards, stairs and handrails installed and completed if part of original permit;
- Foundation walls minimum 6"(150mm) above finished grade;
- Downspouts complete with splashguards; and
- Concrete stairs more than 2 risers and 2 treads supported on the foundation( wood stairs not in contact with the ground)
Fire Break Lots
- Every seventh lot is required to be a Firebreak Lot;
- Scope of work is limited to the top of the foundation only;
- Approval required from BWG Fire and Emergency prior to progression or amendment; and
- Approvals may be obtained by contacting BWG Fire and Emergency located at 75 Melbourne Street (phone: 905.775.7311)
Sewage System Mandatory Inspections