Decks are an extension of the main dwelling unit and as such must be designed and constructed to withstand all superimposed loads. The structure, supports, guards and stairs are regulated by the Ontario Building Code and setbacks to all property lines are regulated by provisions of the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury Zoning By-law.
A building permit is required for all decks greater than 10 m2 (107 sq. ft) or attached to a house. In order to obtain a building permit you must submit:
- Completed building permit application including all fields and schedules showing designer qualifications including BCIN numbers. (Homeowners are exempt from the requirement for qualifications).
- Minimum drawings required for submission. 2 copies of plans drawn to scale:
- Survey plan - showing location and dimension of the proposed deck in relation to existing buildings (including septic system) and setbacks from property lines.
- Footing/Floor Plan - showing location size and spacing of piers (i.e. sono tubes), size and spacing of floor joists and beams.
- Elevation - showing height of deck above ground as well as height and construction of guards and stairs.
- Cross section - showing the connection between the deck to the house, the deck and the beam and depth of piers below grade.
- Final grading approval from the Town of BWG Engineering Services Department is required for all new residential subdivision applications.
The building permit fees are charged in accordance with Schedule "A" of the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury Building By-law 2013-079 which amount to $178.25 for a deck (this includes the assessment fee).
Once a permit is issued, the permit holder must arrange for all required inspections prior to proceeding with various stages of construction.