Building Permit Requirements
In general, a building permit is required to erect, install, extend, alter, repair or demolish a building.
The following are examples of projects that require building permits:
- Construction of a new home.
- Addition of a carport, garage, porch or room(s) to an existing home.
- Construction or finishing of rooms in the basement or attic.
- Any structural work, including alterations to interior partitions or the installation of new skylights, windows or doors.
- Enclosing a porch or deck including an unheated sun room.
- Constructing or installing detached accessory buildings such as a garage, shed, or playhouse larger than 10m2 (107.6ft2).
- Installation of fireplaces and other heating appliances.
- Replacing or installing new plumbing, including repair or installation of an on-site sewage system.
- Installing a swimming pool.
- The creation of an Accessory Dwelling Unit.
NOTE: Although a building permit may not be required, you MUST still comply with the requirements of the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury Zoning By-Law.