Sign In

Bradford West Gwillimbury

Bradford West Gwillimbury > Claims

​​​Submitting a Claim for Compensation

If you have incurred costs for which you believe the Town may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below for the Town to consider your claim. In some situations, you are required to place the Town on notice within 10 days of the incident. The Municipal Act requires that the Town receives notification in writing. To ensure that your claim meets the notice requirement, please forward your claim to Corporate Services within the 10-day period.

Note that payment in respect of property damage or bodily injury is contingent upon the Town being found legally liable.

We suggest that in all cases of damage you contact your insurance company or broker. Depending on the type of property damaged, and the insurance policy you purchased, you may be eligible for greater compensation than you can legally recover from the Town or another party.

Claim Reporting Process

Prepare your notice of claim in writing, and ensure it contains the following information:

  • The name, mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number of the person making the claim;
  • The contact name, mailing address, e-mail, and telephone number of the person submitting the claim - if different from above;
  • The date, approximate time of the incident and exact location (address or closest intersection);
    A brief description of what happened;
  • The type of damage or injury;
  • A copy of the police report, if any;
  • Any pictures or supporting documentation;
  • The name of any contractor involved (if known).

Alternatively, please download the claim form from the menu at the right, then fill it in and return it to Corporate Services.

​​Note: Fraudulent claims cost all taxpayers. The Town will prosecute all fraudulent claimants to the full extent of the law.

Town Compensation for Costs

The Town will not be held responsible for your costs unless you can provide evidence that the Town committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage. Like most Canadian municipalities, the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury only compensates when it is legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce costs for the taxpaying public - who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

We suggest that you contact your own insurer regarding damages - if the insurer believes that the Town is responsible for your damage, they will seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy.

Whenever damage to Town property is caused by a third party, the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury seeks recovery of the related costs from the responsible party. (e.g., for damage to property such as street lights and hydrants.)

Response Time

Confirmation of receipt of your submitted claim will be provided within 2 weeks and an investigation will commence within 4 weeks.  Please keep in mind that this is not a guarantee and that there are times where the response time may be longer. 

If you have any further questions about the claims notification process, please contact us.

Claims involving the County of Simcoe (i.e. vehicle damage occurring on a County road) please contact Simcoe County’s roads department at 705-726-9300.​​