The Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury invites local artists to submit your artwork depicting our community in an artist's medium. Winning submissions will be reprinted for use as souvenirs and gifts for visitors to BWG, with credit to the artist.
Submit your original art by June 29, 2018 for a chance at a $500 prize. Please thoroughly review the contest rules below.
- Contest opens Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 8:30 a.m.. To be eligible for judging, artwork must be received no later than Friday, June 29, 2018 by 4:00 p.m. at the offices of the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury (“the Town”) located at 100 Dissette St., Units 7 & 8, Bradford, Ontario.
- Contest is open to artists currently residing in Bradford West Gwillimbury. There are no age restrictions. Submissions/artwork must be by an individual, not a group or organization.
- Artwork must portray imagery (scenery, buildings, etc.) from within the boundaries of Bradford West Gwillimbury or that represents the community/location of Bradford West Gwillimbury.
- Each artist may submit up to two (2) entries.
- Prize: $500 per winning entry.
- Entries must be the original work of the person submitting the application, and may not be a reproduction, copy or imitation of another artist’s work.
- Submissions must be two dimensional (i.e. not sculpture or other three-dimensional work) and hand-done in an artist’s medium (i.e. paintings/drawings but not photos). The original, unframed work must be provided, not a reprint or digital image.
- Pieces must be a minimum of 8x10” (in either portrait or landscape orientation) and suitable for being reduced and reprinted. The judging panel will look at both the original work and an 8x10” reproduction to judge the suitability of the work at a smaller size. Submissions that are dark, busy or have low contrast may not reduce effectively and are less likely to be selected.
- Up to three (3) winners will be selected by a judging panel made up of staff, council and advisory committee members. Artwork will be presented to judges anonymously. Signatures on artwork may be omitted by the artist at time of submission (to be added later) or will be covered for judging. Art must be submitted wrapped in paper to protect the work. We cannot take responsibility for any damage to art as a result of being submitted unwrapped.
- On a separate piece of paper attached to the back of the artwork, entrants must provide their full name, address, phone number, email address and a description of the location/scene depicted in their work. If the participant is under the age of 18, a letter of consent signed by a parent or legal guardian must also accompany the submission.
- Members of the Town’s Arts & Culture Advisory Committee may enter the contest providing they do not reveal their participation to the judging panel. Employees of the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury and their immediate family members are not eligible for entry.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of:
By submitting an entry, the entrant agrees that the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury will become the rightful owner of the images and any likeness of the images, and may reproduce the images at its discretion. By submitting an entry, the entrant warrants and represents that the designs do not infringe the intellectual property rights of others. Entrants will sign all documents necessary to transfer ownership to the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury.
- artistic composition;
- depiction of a local scene; and
- suitability for reproduction.
The Town’s use of the artwork will include creating reproductions of the winning work(s) in forms that may include but are not limited to prints, greeting cards, mugs, t-shirts or other gift items. These items will not be made for sale or used to generate profits. The name and/or signature of the artist will be included on all reproductions.
Original winning artworks may be displayed by the Town in municipal facilities as it sees fit. Non-winning submissions may be donated to the Town by the artist, if they so choose, to be hung in municipal facilities, or may be reclaimed by the artist from the Town offices during regular office hours within 90 days of the end of the contest. Unclaimed artwork becomes the property of the Town.