We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In

Bradford West Gwillimbury

Skip Navigation LinksADU
Skip Navigation LinksBradford West Gwillimbury > Accessory Dwelling Units

​​​​Accessory Dwelling Unit Registration Process

On June 8, 2010, Council adopted a new Zoning By-law 2010-050 which permits accessory dwelling units in most residential zones (in single-detached and semi-detached residential buildings) subject to other provisions in the zoning by-law.

On November 9, 2010, Council endorsed a registration process for accessory residential dwelling units within the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury. A copy of the report to Council and the resulting process may be found below.

There are two registration processes summarized into checklists below. Applicants should follow the registration process most applicable to their property.

If the accessory dwelling unit was created on or before July 14, 1994, and is connected to municipal water and sewer services, please click on the checklist for existing accessory dwelling units to see which actions are required prior to the unit being registered.

If the accessory dwelling unit was created after July 14, 1994, or has not yet been created, please click on the checklist for new accessory dwelling units to see the actions required prior to the unit being registered.

Zoning By-law 2010-050 is available on our website and may be accessed by clicking the link at right.  Accessory dwelling units may be permitted in the following Residential zones: R1-1, R1-2, R1-3, R1-4, R2-1, R4, and ER, subject to the regulations of the Town’s zoning by-law and various requirements by the Building Division, the Fire and Emergency Services Department, the Property Standards Division, and the Electrical Safety Authority, as applicable.

Accessory dwelling unit provisions may be found at section 4.3 of Zoning By-law 2010-050.

If you have any questions regarding the process or the documentation required to register an accessory residential dwelling unit, please contact the Planning Division.​