We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In

Bradford West Gwillimbury

Skip Navigation LinksBradford West Gwillimbury > Marriage Licenses

​​​​​​​​​Marriage Licences

​​​​​​​Impacts of COVID-19 on programs and services:
Effective April 3 and for the duration of the provincial shutdown, Town Administrative Offices are closed to in-person services unless you have an appointment - see thecomplete list of departments and contact information​.​​ ​Services will still be available online or by phone – learn about our virtual services​. ​

See the Town's COVID-19 page for more information.​​​

Couples wishing to be married in Ontario may obtain their marriage licence from any municipal office that issues marriage licenses. A Marriage Licence Application Form (link at right) must be completed and signed by both parties to the marriage.

The marriage licence fee is $130 (payable by cash, debit, Visa or MasterCard).

Please call in advance to make an appointment to obtain your marriage licence: 905-775-5366.

Licences must be obtained from the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury at 100 Dissette St. Units 7&8.

Licence Requirements

Identification: You must provide two pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married. At least one piece of ID must include your photo. (Documents in a language other than English or French must be translated by a certified translator.)

Examples of government-issued identification are:

  • government-issued birth certificate, includi​ng any change of name certificates
  • valid passport
  • record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • valid driver’s licence
  • valid Ontario Photo Card

Minors: Applicants 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent. Contact our office for further details.

Canadian Divorce: If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled within Canada, the original or court certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be submitted. A divorce judgment is not acceptable. Certified copies may be obtained from the court which granted the divorce. Photocopies are not acceptable, and all documents will be returned.

Foreign Divorce: If a divorce was granted outside of Canada, additional forms must be completed. Click on the "Getting Married in Ontario" link at right for additional information.

Interpreters: If you do not understand or read English, you must provide your own interpreter and they must provide identification.

Marriage ceremony:  A marriage licence allows you to be married in Ontario. It is your responsibility to arrange the marriage ceremony of your choice. The Town of BWG does not perform marriage ceremonies.