Sign In

Bradford West Gwillimbury

Skip Navigation LinksBradford West Gwillimbury > Building Main

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Building Division

The Building Division is responsible for the enforcement of the Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code. This includes issuing building permits and inspecting all newly constructed buildings. 

A building p​ermit​ must be obtained from the Town of BWG before you begin most construction projects within the municipality as per the Building By-law (see document at right).

We can process your application quickly and efficiently when provided with all of the necessary information, so please choose a topic below for guidelines and forms.

 If you are a home OWNER

Do YOU need a permit?

In general, you must obtain a building permit before you begin to erect, install, extend, alter, repair or demolish a building. 

Click for a list of common projects that require a permit and links to application forms and guidelines.

Fees: review the fee Schedule and Calculator documents at right to determine the fee for your project.

​​You do NOT need a permit for these projects:
shingle replacement/repair, windows/doors, privacy fences, trellis, re-cladding (not including stucco), repairing a leaky basement and/or foundation, insulation/reinsulation, closing off porches, kitchens and flooring.

NOTE: even if your project does not require a building permit, you MUST still comply with the requirements of the Town of BWG Zoning By-Law.

How do you apply for a permit?

To apply for a building permit​, the owner of the building/property (or a representative with written authorization) must visit the Town's Building Division IN PERSON. Applications will not be accepted until they are complete, accompanied by prescribed plans and specifications, and the applicable permit fee is paid. We require approximately 10 business days to process each permit application.

Please call or visit us in advance in your require advice on successfully completing your application.

Here is a breakdown of the approval process:

1. Complete and submit your application

Complete a Building/Demolition Permit Application, describing the project including who will perform the work and what, where, when and how the work will be done.

You must include two sets of site plans for review as well as scaled construction drawings - including a minimum of floor plans, building elevations and building section. Review the list of projects that require permits to see if any additional documentation is required.

You may also need approval from other municipal departments or from external agencies before getting your permit. See the section on this page called 'Do you need other approvals?' for more details. A permit application will not be reviewed until all requirements have been met.​

2. Consider zoning and grading regulations

Before you submit your application you must ensure that your proposed work complies with the provisions of the Town of BWG Zoning By-law (see link at right). 

Some regulations (such as how close to the lot line you can build or how large your building can be) may conflict with your proposal. If this is the case, you may adjust your plan or you may apply to the Committee of Adjustment for a minor variance.

Staff members can advise you on the zoning regulations for your property if you provide sufficient information about the site and your proposal, such as an updated survey and a site plan. Click for a Zoning Compliance Form​.

3. Application is reviewed

Your application will be examined for completeness and for compliance with the Ontario Building Code, which regulates things like:

  • building occupancy
  • construction and material requirements for structural and fire safety
  • heating, ventilation, air conditioning and other building related requirements

4. Permit is issued

When the application process is completed and all fees and charges are paid, you will get the appropriate permit. Construction and/or demolition may then begin. While work is being done, the permit must be posted in a conspicuous location on site. The plans and/or specifications reviewed by the Building Division must also be kept on site. Any changes to the plan must be approved by the Building Department.

5. Inspections

A building inspector will check your project at key stages during construction. The inspector's responsibility is to ensure that the work is carried out in accordance with the Building Code requirements and your reviewed plans.

Before you begin work, contact the Building Division and confirm that inspections will be required. See the section on this page called 'What inspections will I need?' for more details.

Do you need other approvals?

​Prior to submission of a building permit application, the following items may be required to be approved and received. If you require help to determine if any of these approvals apply to you, please contact the Building Department for assistance. 

​Zoning By-Law Compliance
Compliance with the Town's Zoning By-law is required at the time of building permit application. If the application does not conform to the requirements of the Zoning by-law, you may seek relief in a form of a minor variance from the Committee of Adjustment.

​Site Plan Control
If your property is in an area subject to site plan control, you may have to submit an application for site plan approval to the Town's Planning Department. Site plan approval is applicable law and therefore required at the time of submission of building permit application.
Water Supply
Contact the BWG Water/Wastewater Department for information on connection to water services, or contact the Ministry of Environment for information on well approvals.​

Flood Plains and Watercourses
Conservation Authority approval is required for all properties located in or adjacent to fill regulated areas. Contact one or more of the following on the right for further information.

Provincial Highways
For construction projects including new entrances or alterations to existing entrances located within 45.72 meters (150 feet) of a Provincial Highway, a permit from the Ministry of Transportation is required at the time of building permit application.

Entrance Culverts
Town Roads - Approval from the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury Transportation Department is required for an entrance culvert or approval of existing culvert on any Town road.
County Roads - Approval from the County of Simcoe for an entrance culvert.
Applicable Law
Resulting from recent changes to the Building Code the definition of applicable law has been replaced with a list of statutes and regulations. Building permit applicants must establish compliance with applicable law at the time of permit application submission.​

What inspections might you need?

All projects for which a Building Permit has been issued must be inspected at various stages of construction by a building inspector from the Town of BWG. 

Town responsibilities include:

  • Ensure the work is carried out in accordance with the Building Code requirements and your reviewed plans.
  • The Town of BWG is committed to ensuring that all of our employees are provided with a healthy and safe work environment. Any job site found to contain unsafe conditions will not receive inspection from the Town until the unsafe conditions are corrected.

Permit-holder's responsibilities include:

  • Before you begin work, contact the Building Division to confirm what inspections will be required. 
  • When you reach a stage that requires inspection, you should call to book a minimum of 48 hours in advance; however, next-day service is usually available.
  • The property owner or permit holder must be present during all mandatory inspections, inspectors must be able to see the area of the building they are required to inspect, and a copy of approved permit drawings must be available during all inspections. If these conditions are not met, then no inspection will be conducted. 

If a Building Official finds that some work does not conform to the approved plans, they will advise verbally or in writing that the situation is to be remedied. If the violation is serious, an order may be issued until the problem is resolved. Another inspection may be necessary before work is resumed.

Note: The Town of BWG does not perform electrical inspections. Electrical inspections are performed by the Electrical Safety Authority.

Inspection Requirements

1. Footings
Footings should be ready to pour. Cleaned of all foreign debris and loose material. Formwork secured in place including footing for fireplace.

2. Backfill (Foundation & Weepers)
Parging on concrete block to be completed. Damp-proofing of the foundation to be completed. Weeping tile to be covered with a minimum of 6" clear gravel. Drainage layer is to be installed (when required).

3. Exterior Drains/Supply
Water supply to be installed from house to road with all couplings installed. All exterior drains to be covered with gravel and a test T installed. Trenches to be constructed in accordance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and regulations.

4. Interior drains
All roughed-in drains under slab to be complete and leveled. Ball test will be required.

5. Plumbing Rough-In
All roughed-in waste and vent pipes to be inspected and water or air pressure tested. All roughed-in hot and cold water supply pipes to be inspected with an air pressure test.

6. H.V.A.C. Rough-In
All supply and air return ducting to be completed. All ventilation ducting to be completed for exhaust fans.

7. Framing
Plumbing and H.V.A.C. rough-ins must be approved prior to framing inspection all rough carpentry to be completed. Fire stopping to be completed on bulkheads, boxes, drop ceiling and cabinetry where possible.

8. Solid Fuel Burning Fireplace or Woodstove Rough-In
Rough-in of masonry hearth, smoke chamber and chimney to be completed. Factory-built fireplaces and woodstoves are to be installed, including chimneys and all enclosures to be framed, but not covered

9. Insulation and Vapour Barrier
All insulation to be completed. Vapour barrier to be completed. If blown ceiling insulation is used, the ceiling vapour barrier must also be installed. Fire stopping to be completed in bulkheads, boxes, cabinetry, drop ceilings, at top and bottom plate breeches (supply ducts and waste pipes), concealed spaces, and tubs. Exterior of building to be weather tight, including installation of roofing materials (i.e. shingles).

10. Sanitary Sewer Lateral Camera Inspection

Inspection by Engineering Services prior to occupancy inspection. Basement Floors poured (concrete). Proper access required such as permanent stairs and handrails. Cleanout must be free and clear of any debris. Water and Hydro must be available within the house for the Camera Operators. Sanitary Sewer Line must be flushed. Site super or designate to accompany the Inspector during the process.

11. Water Meter Inspection

To ensure the proper installation and function of water meter. For more information, please contact the Water Division.

12. Occupancy

Installations of all required guards and handrails, doors, lighting, interior finishes including floors, and smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Plumbing system completed and all fixtures installed. HVAC system completed and operating

Final Inspection

Final inspection is mandatory. This includes:

  • Exterior building envelope including flashing, caulking, roof and mechanical venting completed;
  • Deck guards, stairs and handrails installed and completed if part of original permit;
  • Foundation walls minimum 6" (150mm) above finished grade;
  • Downspouts complete with splashguards; and
  • Concrete stairs more than 2 risers and 2 treads supported on the foundation (wood stairs not in contact with the ground)
Fire Break Lots

Every seventh lot is required to be a Firebreak Lot;
Sewage System Mandatory Inspections
  • Readiness to Construct
    • Excavation of tile bed is complete
  • Completion of Tile Bed (prior to backfill)
    • Tank has been installed
    • All approved filter material (i.e. sand, gravel) has been installed
    • Distribution pipes have been installed and leveled
  • Completion of Sewage System
    • Sewage system to have final grading completed and vegetation to be present (can be completed at the time of occupancy) 
    • Alarms have been installed where required

FAQ for buyers of newly constructed homes

​Who do I contact for deficiencies in my new home?

Your builder is responsible for deficiencies in your new home. If the builder fails to respond, notify TARION​ and request assistance within the proper timeframe of your warranty. It is important to record all complaints in writing to both your builder and TARION. Purchasers are urged to discuss the complaint process with their solicitor. 

What is the Developer’s responsibility?

The developer is responsible for grading & drainage; construction of sewers, watermains, roads, curbs & sidewalks; street lighting; street trees; & perimeter fencing in the subdivision.

What is the Builder’s responsibility?

The builder is responsible for constructing your house; grading & sodding of the lot; driveway construction.

What does "Final Acceptance" or "Assumption" of a new Subdivision mean?

Final Acceptance and/or Assumption of a Subdivision occurs when the municipality assumes responsibility for the maintenance of all municipal services from the developer. This typically occurs within three to six years after the registration of the subdivision, when all requirements of the developer have been fulfilled. Until this happens, the developer is responsible for all municipal and regional services, and maintenance of the streets with the exception of snow clearance and garbage pick-up. Unassumed roads are open to the public and subject to conventional rules of the road under the Highway Traffic Act, including parking regulations.

Can I landscape, plant trees, shrubs, flowers or place structures on Town Boulevards?

Landscaping features cannot be placed on Town lands. Homeowners who do not comply will be required to remove these features at their own expense.

Can I construct a deck, fence, shed, patio and/or swimming pool?

When compliance of the building code is met by the home owner; a permit will be administered. However, the home owner is responsible for obtaining confirmation of Final Grading from Engineering Services. If Final Grading has not been completed, a written letter from the builder is required to confirm that he/she has no objections. In addition to this, the complete building permit application must comply with the Ontario Building Code and the building permit must have been issued when the proposal complies with code and applicable law.