We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In

Bradford West Gwillimbury

Bradford West Gwillimbury > Byelection2020

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Ward 2 By-election 2020

​Thank you to everyone who voted. The results are in​ and the successful candidate is Jonathan Scott with 36.5% of the votes. 

​​​Due to the unfortunate passing of Councillor Gary Baynes, the Town of BWG's Councillor – Ward 2 seat has been declared vacant in accordance with theMunicipal Act. Council passed a by-law on September 15, 2020 directing the Clerk to hold a by-election to fill the vacancy.​

Things to know about the 2020 by-election​:​

  • The by-election is to elect one person to fill the seat of Councillor – Ward 2.
  • Only eligible electors of Ward 2 will be entitled to vote in this by-election.
  • Voting will be by internet or telephone only. Watch this video​ for details!
  • The voting period is from November 27 to December 7, 2020. No need to wait until the last minute! 

For more information, choose a topic below: 

Who can vote in this by-election?

Am I eligible to vote?

You are eligible to vote if:

  • you or your spouse live in Ward 2 in the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, or you live outside of BWG but own property in Ward 2;
  • you are a Canadian citizen;
  • you are at least 18 years old; AND
  • you are not prohibited from voting under subsection 17 (3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (see below).

​Everyone who is on the voters' list will receive a Voter Information Letter (VIL) in the mail in mid-November with the information you need to vote.

Who is NOT allowed to vote?

  1. A person who lives in BWG in any ward other than Ward 2​.

  2. A person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution cannot vote.

  3. A​ corporation is not entitled to a vote.

  4. A person acting as executor or trustee in any other representative capacity cannot vote, except as a voting proxy in accordance with section 44 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.

  5. A person who was convicted of a corrupt practice described in subsection 90 (3), of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, cannot vote if voting day in the current election is less than five years after voting day in the election in respect of which they were convicted.

How do I know if I live in Ward 2?

Click here to view the interactive ward map, wh​ere you can enter your address to see if you are located within Ward 2, or check out the static map and street list​.

If I own property in Ward 2 but live elsewhere in BWG, can I vote in this election?

No. To vote in this election, a BWG resident must live in Ward 2. The only exception is if you live outside of BWG but own property in Ward 2. You should also make sure that you are on the voters' list for the qualifying address (see below).​

When, where and how do I vote?

Public Information Session

Watch this video​ to learn more about the upcoming Ward 2 by-election, including how voting will take place, what you need in order to vote and more.
WHEN do I vote?

You may place your vote by phone or internet ANY TIME between November 27 at 10:00 a.m. and December 7 at 8:00 p.m. Both the telephone and internet systems are available 24 hours a day throughout this period.

WHERE do I vote?

All votes must be cast using either the internet or touch-tone telephone, which means you can vote anywhere! You do not need to leave your home or office to vote - simply place your vote using any touch tone telephone, or online from any location using your computer, tablet or smartphone with internet connection.

There will be NO PAPER BALLOTS used in the Ward 2 By-election 2020.

If you require assistance to vote please contact us by phone, email​ or use the chat button at the bottom of this page and we would be happy to help you. If you need to vote by internet and do not have access at home, you can visit a Voter Help Centre - see below for locations and times.

HOW do I vote?

  1. Click here to check​ that you are on the voters' list, ensure your personal information on the list is correct, or register to vote if you are not yet on the list.

  2. When you receive your Voter Information Letter in the mail, double-check that all of the information on it is correct, including your name and address. The letter will provide a number to call if any of this information is incorrect. If you do not receive a letter, call or email us for assistance (see contact info at right).

  3. Review the instructions in the letter, which will include the telephone number and website address that you can use to access the voting system and a unique code (PIN) to access the system. Voters will be required to enter their date of birth to confirm their identity.

  4. At any time during the voting period, call the phone number or go to the website address provided and follow the prompts to cast your vote for Ward 2 Councillor.

  5. If you lose your telephone or internet connection at any time, call again or go back to the website and it will allow you to start voting again.​ None of your choices are saved if you lose connection, to ensure confidentiality.

Watch this video from our vendor, Simply Voting, to see the whole process in action!


Do voters have to be tech savvy or need special programs to vote online?

No, you don't need special internet skills or special software to cast your vote online. Access to the internet is all you need to cast your vote online from any computer, smart phone or tablet. The system is intuitive and easy to use. 

You will received a Voter Information Letter with all the information you need, then once the voting period begins you just go to the website to be guided through the process of casting your vote.

You can also use the telephone to cast your ballot. When you receive your Voter Information Letter, you will be provided with a phone number to call and follow the prompts to cast your ballot.

What if I need more information or help?

​​What do I do if I have questions or want to see the system in advance?

Before and during the Voting Period, you can get help in a variety of ways:

  • call the BWG Votes Hotline at 905-775-5366 ext. 8683 (VOTE)​

  • email vote@townofbwg.com

  • chat with us live using the pop-up box at the bottom of this page

  • visit the Town Administration Office at 100 Dissette St., Units 7&8, open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm (appointments are preferred to ensure physical distancing).

  • watch the virtual election information session on our YouTube channel​; you can see it live on Thursday, November 19 starting at 7 p.m. or watch the recording

Where can I go to get in-person help during the voting period?

Voter Help Centres will be set up with voting stations for anyone who wishes to come to one of these locations to place their vote via the internet.

Town Administration Office Voter Help Centre
100 Dissette St., Units 7&8:
available weekdays throughout the voting period:
Monday through Friday, November 27 to December 7
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(by appointment if possible to ensure physical distancing)

Bradford and District Memorial Community Centre Voter Help Centre
125 Simcoe Road (Auditorium, 2nd floor):
available on the final day only (Election Day)
Monday, December 7
10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Please be advised that both physical locations will have strict COVID-19 procedures in place for the health and safety of voters and staff. Be sure to bring a face covering to wear and be prepared to wait in physically distanced lines while cleaning procedures are followed between voters.

Am I on the voters' list?

How is the voters' list created?

The Preliminary List of Electors (PLE) supplied by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is delivered to the Clerk. The PLE contains the name and address of each person who is entitled to be an elector and additional information, such as school support.

The voters’ list will be provided to the candidates and available to the public on October 26, 2020.

Where can electors go to check if they are on the voters’ list?

Starting October 26, electors can visit the online Voter Registration Portal to ensure they are on the voters' list and to ensure their information is up-to-date and accurately reflected for the upcoming Ward 2 By-election. Electors can confirm or update their information or add an elector to the address.

Only electors on the voters' list will receive a Voter Information Letter which will provide their unique PIN and instructions on how to vote.

How can an elector add themselves to the voters’ list after it is produced?

Eligible electors who are not on the list can register online in the Voter Registration Portal to be added to the Voters’ List beginning October 26, 2020. Check back here to see if you are on the voters’ list, register to be added to the voters’ list, find out who your candidates are, and view instructions on how to vote.

More Frequently Asked Questions

Will there be an advance voting period?

Voters may cast their ballots by phone or internet any time between November 27 at 10:00 a.m. and December 7 at 8:00 p.m., so there is no specific advance voting period or single voting day​.

Is proxy voting still allowed?

No, proxy voting (which is when an eligible voter designates another eligible voter to vote on their behalf if they are unable to do so themselves) will not be permitted in the Ward 2 By-election 2020. Eligible voters can place their vote using the internet from anywhere in the world, or using touch-tone telephone from anywhere in North America.

When, where and how do I find out who the candidates are?

Visit the candidates page​ for more information including contact information and links to profiles.

Have the wards changed?

No they have not. Click here to view the interactive ward map, where you can enter your address to see which ward you are in, or check out the static map and street list​. Only residents or owners of property in Ward 2, or their spouse, can vote in the Ward 2 By-election.

I have some concerns about online voter privacy. Is online voting secure?

Online voting is very secure. Electors are authenticated by their Voter PIN, which cannot be linked back to the identity of the elector. A sealed Voter Information Letter containing the voter’s PIN is sent by first class mail. No one except the Clerk or designated Election Officials can access the information that match each elector’s name and address.

Feel free to contact the election staff for more information regarding the security measures in place for the Ward 2 By-election 2020.

Will you be hiring staff to help with voting?

We are not hiring election staff at this time. Thank you for your interest.

Am I eligible to run as a candidate in this election?

​How can I be sure I am eligible to run for Town Council?

The nomination period is now closed, and no new candidates may file.

For your general information, here are the key criteria for running for a council seat​:

  • On the day you file your nomination, you must be a Canadian citizen aged 18 or older, and qualify as a resident or non-resident elector (voter) in the municipality. 
  • You must be eligible to hold office on the day you file your nomination. For example, a person who is 17 years old but will turn 18 before the end of the nomination period must wait until they have turned 18 to file their nomination.

  • You must be a resident of BWG, and you can run to represent any of the Town's wards - you do not have to run in the same ward that you live in. Please be aware that if you run in a ward where you do not live, you will not be able to vote for yourself. Having a campaign office or a business in a ward where you would not be otherwise eligible to vote does not make you eligible to vote in that ward.

  • You must file the appropriate paperwork when you submit your nomination (see Forms section below or to the right).

​For more information on this and other topics, please refer to the BWG Candidate Information Guide 2020.

What important dates and events should I know about?

​​​​The critical dates during the by-election are:
  • September 16 – October 23
    Nomination Period
    Timeframe for Candidates to file their Nomination Papers with the Clerk. The nomination period closes at 2:00 p.m. on October 23.

  • October 26, 2020
    Voters' List Available to all Candidates

  • October 27, 2020, 7 p.m. via Zoom
    Candidates' Information Session
    (Details regarding how to participate will be provided mid-October)
    This session will cover the following topics:
    • Election Details and Method of Voting
    • Role of Council and Councillor
    • Campaigning and Campaign Finances
    • Questions and Answers​

What do I need to know about campaigning?

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs prepared the 2018 Candidates’ Guide​for Ontario municipal council and school board elections. They will not be updating this guide for 2020 and so some dates may be incorrect. Please refer to this website and to the BWG Candidate Information Guide 2020 for accurate dates.

When can I start my campaign?

A candidate’s campaign period begins on the day they file their nomination and ends on Thursday, January 21, 2021. A candidate who has a deficit in their campaign, may continue to receive contributions until January 21, 2021 to obtain additional contributions in order to eliminate the deficit.

What are the rules for campaign signs and advertising?

Candidate campaign advertising means an advertisement in any broadcast, print, electronic or other medium that has the purpose of promoting or supporting the election of a candidate, and is subject to regulations established by the Ward 2 By-election 2020 Procedures and the Town’s Sign By-law 2011-23, as amended. Examples include lawn signs, brochures, posters and print, radio and electronic advertisements. Candidates are encouraged to review the Sign By-law 2011-23, as amended.

Can candidates use signs from past election campaigns?

Yes, you may use signs left over from a previous regular election campaign for the Ward 2 By-election 2020; however, it is considered to be a contribution that you make to your election campaign. You must record the current market value (i.e. what it would cost you to buy those signs today) as an expense.  Signs are only permitted to be erected after Nomination Day (October 23, 2020).

Can I use the Town logo or photos from a Town website or social media site on my campaign materials?

No, candidates may not use the Town’s logo or other corporate images (including Town-owned photos) on their own websites (including social media), campaign literature, lawn signs, buttons, clothing or other campaign material.

Candidates MAY re-tweet/share a Town social media post or share a link from Town of BWG websites on their own websites including social media. Candidates wishing to share information/pages from the Town's official websites must do so by providing links rather than screen captures.

The Use of Municipal Resources for Election Purposes Policy establishes rules and procedures which prohibit the use of municipal resources during the election campaign period. Candidates should review the Use of Municipal Resources for Election Purposes Policy for more information.

Can I campaign at public events?

You may NOT campaign at events that are hosted by the Town. These include the annual events highlighted at the top of the Town's Events webpage, as well as any other events such as public information sessions or open houses. Wearing a campaign T-shirt, hat, button or other apparel is considered campaigning.

You may campaign at private events held on private property. Additionally, a private organization or candidate may rent a Town space (such as a community centre when available) for a campaign or other event and permit campaigning if they choose, so long as all campaigning activity and signage is limited to the interior space.  All public health instructions and guidelines related to COVID health and safety, including physical distancing and masks must be followed.

Can I have a campaign office?

You may set up a campaign office on private property. An Election Sign may be placed, erected or displayed at a Campaign Office provided that:

(a) the Candidate has filed their nomination or in the case of a Registered Third Party, registered with the Clerk, Chief Electoral Officer or the returning officer of the electoral district, as applicable; and

(b) the Election Sign at the Campaign Office may be larger than 16 square feet, provided they otherwise comply with the provisions within the Town’s Sign By-law, as applicable.

What do I need to know about campaign finance?

Can candidates use an existing bank account for campaign purposes?

Yes, you may use an existing bank account provided that it is ONLY used for campaign revenue and expenses.

Can contributions come from anyone who lives in the province?

Yes, contributions can be accepted from an individual who is normally a resident in Ontario. If a spouse of a candidate is not normally a resident in Ontario, they can still make a contribution but only to the candidate’s campaign and not any other candidate.

Can a candidate accept contributions from a business account?

No, a candidate shall not accept contributions from a corporation, or trade union; non-Ontario residents; a federal political party; constituency organizations; registered candidate in a provincial or federal election; a municipal or provincial government; or a school board.

Can candidates only accept personal cheques?

Contributions that are $25 or less can be made in cash. All contributions above $25 must be made by cheque, money order or by a method that clearly shows where the funds came from. All cheques must come from personal accounts and not from a business account, ex. Smith & Sons Co.

What type of records should candidates keep respecting campaign contributions?

Candidates shall keep a list of names and addresses of every contributor who gives more than $100 total to their campaign in the financial statement. Candidates should keep a record of the names and addresses of each contributor regardless of the value of their contribution. Candidates should refer to the MMAH Candidates’ Guide for Ontario municipal council and school board elections and the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 for more information regarding their campaign contributions and expenses records.

Do candidates have to issue receipts to all contributors?

Yes, candidates must issue a receipt for every contribution they receive. The receipt should show who made the contribution, the date and value. If the contribution was in goods or services, candidates must determine the value of the goods or services and issue a receipt for the full value.​

More Frequently Asked Questions

What is involved in being on Town Council?

As a councillor, you have representative, policy-making and stewardship roles to play in your municipality. Often these roles will overlap. You will be called on to consider and make decisions on issues that will sometimes be complex and controversial. Most of those decisions will have long-term consequences for your municipality that extend beyond your term of office, and should be made in the context of your municipality’s directions for the long-term health and welfare of your community.

The time commitment can be significant. In addition to two council meetings a month, this may include sitting on committees, public meetings and events to take part in, as well as considerable time spent talking with and responding to the residents in your ward. The amount of time required to prepare for a Council or committee meeting can be several hours per week due to the number of lengthy reports to be read in advance.

How much are Council members paid?

A BWG Council position is not considered or expected to be a full-time position. Council annual remuneration, as of January 1, 2020, is as follows:

- Councillor $23,767.18 plus expenses

- Deputy Mayor $29, 749.81 plus expenses

- Mayor $44, 609.19 plus expenses​

What is a Third Party Advertiser and who is eligible?

Are Third Party Advertisers permitted in this by-election?

Yes. Provisions under the Municipal Elections Act provide for Third Party Advertising for Ward 2 By-election 2020.

What is a Third Party Advertiser?

A Third Party Advertiser mean​s any person or entity, an individual, corporation or trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario, who incurs expenses with respect to promoting, supporting or opposing:

  1. a candidate; or

  2. a "yes" or "no" answer to a question, referendum, or an issue associated with a person or political party participating in an election, under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.

A Third Party Advertiser must be registered with the Clerk of the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury. Registration will be accepted by the Clerk/Returning Officer or designate by appointment from September 16, 2020 to December 4, 2020 at the Administration Centre, located at 100 Dissette Street, Units 7 & 8 (see below for more information about registration).

What is a Third Party Advertisement?

A Third Party Advertisement is a message in any medium (including signs, billboards, newspaper or radio ads, etc.) promoting or opposing a candidate, or a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to a question, referendum, or an issue associated with a person or political party participating in an election.

Advertising that does not cost money to post or broadcast, such as comments made on social media or email, is not considered a Third Party Advertisement.

Am I eligible to register as a Third Party Advertiser?

You are eligible to register as a Third Party Advertiser if you are:

  • an individual who is normally resident in Ontario;

  • a corporation that carries on business in Ontario; or

  • a trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.

You are NOT eligible to register as a Third Party Advertiser if you are:

  • a candidate;

  • a federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act or any federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party;

  • a provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act; or

  • the Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board.

How does registration work and what forms do I need?

When and how is registration done?

Registration must be done in person or by agent by appointment at the Administration Centre, located on 100 Dissette Street, Units 7 & 8. Registration is open from September 16, 2020 to December 4, 2020, during regular office hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). Appointments are encouraged to ensure safe physical distancing.

All Third Party Advertisers MUST register with the municipality where they want to advertise. If you want to advertise in more than one municipality, you must register with each municipality.

A list of Registered Third Party Advertisers will be made available on the Town website, and any other information the Clerk/Returning Officer deems appropriate. 

Is there a fee for registration?

There is no registration fee for Third Party Advertisers.

What forms and documents do I need to file?

A third party candidate filing their own registration may fill out the forms listed below either in advance or at the Clerk's office. 

If an agent is filing on the registrant's behalf, the registrant must fill out the forms in advance and sign where indicated, with the exception of the Declaration of Qualifications, which must be signed by the agent in front of the Clerk or designated election official (see below).

Third Party Advertisers must file the following forms:

  • Notice of Registration
    – This form provides detailed information about the advertiser and identifies the representative authorized to make the agreement. The bottom section (beginning with "Date Filed") will be filled out at the Clerk's office.

  • Declaration of Qualifications - Third Party Advertiser
    – The applicable form MUST be filled out at the Town offices and witnessed by a member of the Clerk's office. If someone other than the advertiser's official representative has been designated to file the registration on their behalf, the agent will be expected to sign the paper in their stead.​ 
    Choose correct type:
  • Consent to Release Personal Information
    – This form lets us know how you wish to be contacted by the Clerk's office and by electors. At minimum, third part advertisers must be willing to have the names of the registrant and their representative made public.

  • Authorization for Agent to File Registration
    (if needed)
    – If an advertiser wishes to designate someone other than their official representative to file their nomination papers, that agent must appear at the Clerk's office with all of the forms indicated above PLUS the Authorization for Agent to File Registration.

What else do I need to know about Third Party Advertisements?

I​​​t is the responsibility of the Third Party Advertiser to adhere to provisions of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, and the procedures required by the Clerk/Returning Officer, as applicable. The Ministry of Municipal Affairs prepared the 2018 guide for third party advertisers, and this guide will be used for the 2020 By-election. The Town of BWG has also prepared a guide for third party advertisers for this by-election.

When can a Registered Third Party begin advertising?

Advertising may begin once your registration has been filed. ​The last day to file is Monday, December 7, 2020 (Election Day).

Are there other rules for using election signs?

Election signs within Town limits are regulated by the Town’s Sign By-law. Please refer to this By-law for information regarding where election signs may and may not be placed. Signs cannot be placed until after Nomination Day (October 23, 2020).

What mandatory information is required on the advertisements?

All Third Party Advertisements shall contain the following information:

  • the name of the Registered Third Party Advertiser;

  • the municipality where the Third Party Advertiser is registered; and

  • a telephone number, mailing address or email address at which the Registered Third Party Advertiser may be contacted regarding the advertisement.

What is the mandatory information for a broadcaster?

All Registered Third Party Advertisers must provide the following information to the broadcasters or publisher in writing before the Third Party Advertisements appears: 

  • the name of the Registered Third Party Advertiser;

  • the municipality where the Third Party Advertiser is registered; and

  • a telephone number, mailing address or email address at which the Registered Third Party Advertiser may be contacted regarding the advertisement.

Are there campaign finance rules that apply to Third Party Advertisers?

Yes, campaign finance rules for Third Party Advertisers are similar to the rules for candidates. For example:

  • Third Party Advertisers have spending limits and there are contribution limits for those wishing to contribute to a Third Party Advertiser.

  • Corporations and trade unions are permitted to make contributions to a Registered Third Party Advertisers, but are not permitted to make contributions to candidates.

  • The maximum contribution from a single contributor is $1,200 to a Third Party Advertiser and $5,000 to two or more Third Party Advertisers in a municipality.

  • A Registered Third Party must file with the Clerk, a financial statement and auditor’s report, in the prescribed form, reflecting the Registered Third Party’s campaign finances in relation to the advertisements.

Please see the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 for complete duties and responsibilities of a Registered Third Party Advertiser.

What important dates and events should I know about?

September 16 - December 4, 2020
Registration Period
Timeframe for Third Party Advertisers to file their Notice of Registration with the Clerk.

More Frequently Asked Questions

What are the expense limits for third parties?

A third party can only accept contributions once they have registered as a Third Party Advertiser, and cannot accept contributions after the advertising campaign period has finished. The expense limit for Third Parties Advertisers is calculated by the Clerk after determining the number of eligible electors from the Voters’ List, in accordance with Section 88.21 of the Municipal Act.

When may contributions be made to third parties?

Contributions to Registered Third Party Advertisers for a municipal election may only be made during the campaign period, beginning after the Third Party Advertiser has registered until January 21, 2021.

Are there any requirements for the broadcaster?

Broadcasters and publishers must maintain records of:

  • the information collected in writing

  • a copy of the advertisement (or the means of reproducing the advertisement for inspection)

  • a statement of the charge made for its appearance

These records must be kept for 4 years after the date the advertisement appears, and public must be permitted to inspect the records.

Third Party Advertising is restricted from the start of the campaign period on September 16, 2020 until the close of voting on December 7, 2020.

Where can I find more information?

To find more information regarding registering as a Third Party Advertisers for the Ward 2 By-election 2020, please contact the Clerk’s Office or visit the website of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.